Mold & Mildew Odors

Removing mold and mildew odors

Mold and mildew are both a result of water invading a dark space and providing an environment where mold and mildew can grow. Getting rid of the water is the first step in solving this problem.

Once the water has been removed the mold will stop growing but when the mold fungus goes into its "dormant" state, it begins to spray spores into the air in an effort to procreate and relocate. The solution to the problem has recently become incredibly simple.

Chlorine dioxide oxidizes mold fungus and mold spores too. OdorXit's Air Quality Manager (AQM) produces Chlorine Dioxide and should be used in a room up to 1000 to 2000 sq ft basement or cellar or crawl space in 1 to 5 days depending on several factors. There are 2 ways to use the product (both produce the same quantity of gas, just at different rates. Standing the 10 or 25 gram pack in a flat bottom glass or cup with 1/8" of water will cause all its gas to be produced in just 24 hours. Exposing the packets to 40% relative humidity but not liquid water will cause the packet to produce the same amount of gas in 20 to 30 days.

The fast version would seem to be a rehabbers dream except that during the 24 hour treatment period you must not be in the house being treated.

Though the slower release version releases gas for 20 to 30 days, it normally only takes 2 to 5 days to clear an open basement completely which gives you 15+ days to treat a second house or another area in the same house and you can be working in the area being treated. Additionally, very often the high dose treatment does not have time or appropriate air flow to get the gas to all the places it needs to treat in just 1 day.

Using a small fan to circulate the air in the area being treated helps the process a lot. Refer to the ClO2 section of this web site for more information on product sizing and application.
AQM Air Quality Manager

AQM Air Quality Manger

Removing Smoke Odors Removing tobacco smoke is dangerous!
Share by: