Disinfecting Hospitals and Nursing Home Facilities
Be one of the first facilities in your area to have a 0% HA-MRSA rate!
With the emergence of what the news media calls "The Super Bugs" hospitals,
outpatient surgical units and nursing home facilities have been forced
to make some very difficult choices regarding patient and worker safety.
The need to reduce the level of fungus, spores, bacteria and viruses
in there facilities is critical. Commonly used disinfectants like chlorine
bleach products and ozone are destructive and largely ineffective at
safe concentrations. Other disinfectants have been rendered nearly
useless because of resistant bacteria like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus
aureus (MRSA) and other resistant and hard to kill bacteria, spores,
fungi and viruses..
Over use of antibiotic drugs has been widely blamed for the emergence
of these Super Bugs and regardless of the real reason, they are here
and they are infecting patients and health care workers alike.
Once a Super Bug actually infects a person, treating the infection
becomes a mater of life and death because even the newest and most
aggressive antibiotic drugs are marginally effective.
We at OdorXit® products are offering an alternative to drug therapy.
If it were possible to truly remove all of the Super Bugs, fungi,
spores, viruses and bacteria form health care facilities it would not
be necessary to develop and use stronger and stronger antibiotics
to prevent and cure infections because they would not exist.
Actually attaining this goal is a real challenge and will require
the total commitment of all the staff of health care facilities.
Practicing good hygiene like hand washing or sanitizing between patient
contacts, disinfecting patent and staff clothing, and disinfecting
the plant are all commonly accepted and currently implemented practices.
The problem is that the practices are ineffective because the disinfectants
used to accomplish the goal are ineffective against the resistant germs.
These are serious claims, and they are supported by the statistics
(as sparse and skewed as they are). No facility wants to admit that
they have a MRSA problem. In fact, doing so will seriously hurt profits
and cause a media frenzy of the worst possible kind. In spite of the
reduced admissions, patient days, length of stay and Nosocomial infections,
the Nosocomial infections per patient-days are increasing. In fact,
very recent information indicates that MRSA and CA-MRAS have escaped
from the health care forum to threaten the community at large.
So, what is the solution? It's really too simple. The chemistry of
chlorine dioxide has been known since the early
1800's, when it was discovered by Sir Humphrey Davy.
It has been used widely in the pulp and paper industries as a bleaching
agent for over 100 years, and used as a disinfectant and oxidant
since the 1950's . The liquid form was registered by the
USEPA in 1967 as a disinfectant and sanitizer and more recently has
been used as a disinfectant for drinking water.
The only catch with chlorine dioxide is that the gas can not be compressed
safely and therefore can not be transported easily or safely like chlorine
and chlorine bleaching product. In fact, it is illegal to transport
chlorine dioxide gas.
Since the late 1990's efforts have been made to develop a product
that would produce chlorine dioxide from dry components. The major
component being sodium chlorite. This is a particularly nasty chemical
that can cause burns if touched or inhaled. Some very innovative people
have figured out how to keep the dry chemicals contained in a package
away from users and still allow water vapor to enter the package and
chlorine dioxide to escape in a controlled and consistent way.
This product now exists and has been registered with the USEPA for
use in the USA This product, available from OdorXit products,
is offered in 5, 10 and 25 grams packages that will produce
low but very effective levels of chlorine dioxide for 20 to 30 days.
Additionally, the 15 and 25 gram versions are available in a format
that will produce the same amount of chlorine dioxide in 20 to 30 hours.
The EPA has not approved the use of this product in constantly inhabited
areas, but the definition of constantly inhabited areas is not clear
and subject to change.
So how can we use this product in the health care arena? It's really
Treating an office, lab, recovery room, patient room or operating
room only takes 1
to 3 hours with the fast release version of the product if the ventilation
system shut down during treatment. Introduction of a small circulating
fan speeds the process considerably.
Hallways are not constantly inhabited
areas so they can be treated with long term low levels of chlorine
dioxide gas produced using the appropriately sized and placed extended
Clothing can be very effectively treated by simply hanging the garment
in a closet or locker with a 5 or 10 gram slow release packet attached
to the wall or bottom of a shelf with the self adhesive pouch supplied
with the product.
New and innovative packaging of hand creams, mouthwash, body wash
and similar product that use the 2 component chlorine dioxide generating
material are becoming available to kill
bacteria, viruses, fungus and spores. Contact OdorXit Product for more
information on these very new and innovative products.
If you are interested in the technical stuff or just want to know
more about this increasable product, there is
lots more information about OdorXit ClO2 on
this web site and the internet in general.
Don't wait until you have
a staph outbreak to act! You really can disinfect your facility with
out people in HasMat suites and without the mess and damage caused
by chlorine bleach products. Using currently available disinfectants,
you can distroy as much as 99.99% of the bacteria and other germs.
ClO2 gas distroys them all. Do your own tests
to prove it. Be the one of the first hospitals in your area to have
a 0% CA-MRSA rate.
If you have questions, call the experts at 1-877-636-7948.